Thursday, February 3, 2011

Not So Special K (On Nutrition)


I don't know what it is about the snooze button. 5 more minutes can't honestly have that much of an impact on the rest of my day, but somehow I always feel it calling my name when my alarm goes off in the morning. By the time I get myself going, it's always at least ten minutes later than I had hoped.

I can't blame it entirely on the snooze button, but breakfast has become somewhat of a struggle.

I suppose this is a good time to mention the food transformation I've been going through recently. I started off 2011 by doing a fast with a group of friends. The idea was to give something up for the month January and become centered and focused on what is really important in this new year. Our group members gave up different things- everything from Facebook to meat to desserts. I gave up all animal products, sugars, and processed foods.

This fast resulted in a couple of things. The first (unintended but happy) side effect was weight loss, which can in no way be attributed to lack of eating. In fact, I was eating a diet that included a lot of olive oil, nuts, and carbs (always whole grains of course). I was actually eating more frequently, if anything.

Another result of this fast is that I was less tired and less grumpy with the same amount of sleep. I didn't even really crave or miss the things I had given up after a while.

A third, and lasting result is that I have become a label reader. I am no longer interested in eating foods with ingredients that I cannot say, spell, or understand. I am also trying overall to be more conscious of what I put into my body as fuel.

Which brings us back around to the breakfast struggle. In all reality, it has less to do my alarm clock and more to do with the ingredients list. When I saw Special K Red Berries in the pantry I rejoiced, assuming the day had been saved by a wholesome, quick breakfast choice. After all, commercials claim that Special K will help you to lose weight and develop a more healthy lifestyle.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I found sugar to be the second ingredient followed shortly thereafter by high fructose corn syrup. Really? Did we really need to include both of these? Why not just one or the other? While I was pondering this the answer came to me. Eliminating the one would likely boost the other right to the top of the ingredient list.

Want a challenge? Read the labels of what you eat. It's kind of intense but really enlightening.

I opted for some shredded wheat, btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment